Top tips for feeding cats from animal charity the RSPCA:
- Without drinking water, your cat could become severely ill within hours. Give your cat constant access to clean drinking water.
Note: Cow’s milk is not a substitute for water.
- Cats need a well-balanced, meat-based diet to stay fit and healthy - they cannot be vegetarian. They are obligate carnivores. In very simple terms, this means that cats require meat in their diet. They have specific nutrient needs that can only be supplied through the ingestion of animal meat.
- Make sure your cat eats a balanced diet that is suitable for their age, health status and lifestyle.
- Most typical human food does not meet the nutritional needs of cats, and some human foods can even be poisonous to cats, e.g. onions. [Here's a post I wrote earlier about household items that are poisonous to cats.]
- Cats naturally eat several small meals per day. Make sure you feed your cat every day and try to split their daily intake into several small meals (unless advised otherwise by your vet).
- How much your cat needs to eat depends on their age, lifestyle and health.
- Always read and follow the feeding instructions that relate to the cat food you buy.
- If a cat eats more food than they need they will become overweight and may suffer. Equally, if a cat is eating too little, they will become underweight. Adjust the amount of food according to the needs of your cat.
- If you provide a litter tray, make sure their food and water positioned well away from it. Most cats will not eat if their food is placed too close to their toilet site.
- Talk to a vet if your cat’s eating and drinking habits change - it could be a sign they’re ill.
My sassy, grumpy cat Toffee is also taking part in the A to Z Challenge. Take a look here: www.notsosweettoffee.com
* * * * * * *If you are a cat lover - especially a lover of the grumpier members of the species, this is the book for you. Written by Toffee who, despite her name, is the least sweet cat you can imagine. The world according to Toffee exists to serve her and woe betide anyone who forgets it. Paperback on left, Kindle version on right.
Follow That's Purrfect on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram
*Take a look at The Best Cat Products In The World. You'll love them!
Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel below.